Team Oregon Tuna Classic ties for the highest daily score on day two of the 2019 Costa Offshore World Championship.
QUEPOS, Costa Rica. (Wednesday, May 1, 2019) — Team Oregon Tuna Classic (USA) is on a hot streak, scoring the highest score for the second day in a row at the 2019 Costa Offshore World Championship. On day two, the team released nine sailfish (1,800 points total) aboard the boat Raven, captained by Mardonio Ovando. Adding together their two days of fishing, the team released 24 sailfish and one blue marlin.
Not to be outdone, Team Mauritius International Billfish Release Tournament (Mauritius) also scored 9 sailfish releases aboard Frenzy, captained by Jose Fabio Hernandez. Their high score was enough to move them from tied in third place to second place. Team Shimano Shootout (Australia) was tied with Team Mauritius International Billfish Release Tournament after day one, now the team from Australia sits squarely in third place after a strong day-two performance. Fishing aboard Reel Escape, captained by Willy Fonseca, the team released 6 sailfish for 1,200 points to stay in the chase.
Teams Sarasota Slam (USA) and Team Zane Grey International Billfish Tournament (Australia) also had strong day-two releases, with each team scoring 5 sailfish and a marlin for 1,500 points. Team Sarasota Slam released a striped marlin, while Team Zane Grey International Billfish Tournament let loose a blue marlin.
The fleet of 45 international fishing teams in the Costa Offshore World Championship (OWC) totaled 129 billfish releases on Tuesday, day two of four days of fishing. Teams logged 118 Pacific sailfish, 10 blue marlin and one striped marlin in the waters off of Quepos, Costa Rica.
Across the board, down were the numbers of Pacific sailfish released on day two, while blue marlin catches increased fivefold. Reviewing tournament videos in the evening and talking with anglers, OWC committee members noticed a similar trend—the highest scoring teams maximized their strikes. Many teams reported missed opportunities for sailfish, especially on day one of fishing. Day two saw less raises and strikes than day one.
Overall Leaderboards After Two Days of Fishing
- Oregon Tuna Classic (USA), 5,300 points
- Mauritius International Billfish Release Tournament (Mauritius), 4,200 points
- The Shimano Shootout (Australia), 3,600 points
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Big Game Spring Tournament (USA), 3,366 points
- 2008 OWC Champions (USA), 3,132.2 points
- Tropic Star Billfish Tournament (Panama), 2,800 points
- Zane Grey International Billfish Tournament (New Zealand), 2,700 points
- 8Torneio Marlin do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), 2,600 points
- 9. 2011 OWC Champions (USA), 2,565.4 points
- IGLAN Big Game Fishing Jezera (Croatia), 2,534 points
- Matti Olson, Oregon Tuna Classic (USA), 2,000 points
- Brandon Hopper, 2008 OWC Champions (USA), 1,800 points
- Vlaho Vidak, IGLAN Big Game Fishing Jezera (Croatia), 1,700 points
- Jimmy Taylor, Mississippi Gulf Coast Big Game Spring Tournament (USA), 1,630.2 points
- Paulo Cecchetti, Torneio de Pesca Royal Charlotte (Brazil), 1,400 points
- Sam Worden, 2011 OWC Champions (USA), 1,365.4 points
- Fernando Pessoa, Yacht Club Ilhabela Annual Billfish Tournament (Brazil), 1,300 points
- Adam Moryto, Tobago International Game Fishing Tournament (Trinidad and Tobago), 1,200 points
- Philip Greenman, Torneio Marlin do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), 1,200 points
- Fernando Almeida, Torneio Cabo Frio Marlin Invitational (Brazil), 1,100 points
- James Smith, Dragin Fly, 4,300 points
- Mardonio Ovando, Raven, 4,200 points
- Rudy Arguedas, Top Fly, 3,430.2 points
- Jose Fabio Hernadez, Frenzy, 3257.6 points
- Steven Fallas, Reel Fly, 2,900 points
- Moises Gonzalez Efrain, Dream Maker, 2830.4 points
- Guillermo Santamaria Reyes, Straight Up with a Twist, 2825.4 points
- Johnny Vanegas, Macushla, 2565.4 points
- Victor Julio, Tranquilo, 2,400 points
- Franklin Arrieta Jimenez, Fire Fly, 2,400 points
- Torneio de Pesca Royal Charlotte (Brazil), Alexandre Guedes Neto, 52.8 pounds
- International Roosterfish Tournament (Mexico), Steven (Rocky) Franich, 49.8 pounds
- Tuna Classic (South Africa), Gaetan Mondou, 40.8 pounds
The OWC fishing teams from around the world weren’t the only ones to hit the water Tuesday. A small fleet of boats carrying anglers’ guests and tournament partners joined the action during a half-day roosterfish competition.
The third day of the tournament starts Wednesday morning, with lines in at 7:30 a.m. One more day of competition follows on Thursday, May 2. Final awards for top teams, anglers and boat captains—plus prizes for heaviest fish—will be presented during the awards gala on Friday, May 3 at Marina Pez Vela.
The Offshore World Championship is the world’s premier saltwater fishing championship and has been held in Costa Rica since 2013. In 2019, the Offshore World Championship celebrates its 20th anniversary.
For more information, visit offshoreworldchampionship.com. From the Offshore World Championship homepage, navigate to our CatchStat scorekeeper site to follow along with live scoring. Also, check out Offshore World Championship social media on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates.
About Bonnier Corp.
Bonnier Corporation is the parent company of the Offshore World Championship Tournament Series. Bonnier Corporation (www.bonniercorp.com) is one of the largest consumer-publishing groups in the U.S. and is the leading media company serving passionate, highly engaged audiences, through magazines, events, digital media and leading-edge products. Bonnier Corp. is the U.S. division of the Bonnier Group (www.bonnier.com), an international media group active in television, newspapers, magazines, movies, books and digital media.
2019 Offshore World Championship Sponsors
In addition to title sponsor Costa Sunglasses, the tournament is sponsored by Visit Costa Rica, Costa Rica Tourism Board, Yeti, Lucas Oil, Marina Pez Vela, VanMark Jewelry Designers, Guy Harvey, Garmin, AFTCO, Flor de Caña, King Sailfish Mounts, Parador Resort and Spa, Maverick Costa Rica, IGFA, Sevenstar Yacht Transport, 2Costa Rica Real Estate, Soundview Millworks, IWS Scales, Heineken, Shimano, PENN, Accurate, Big T Lures, Marlinmagazine, Sport Fishing magazine, Salt Water Sportsman magazine and Pacifico Travel.