By Ashley Brugnone, CMP Writer
Continuing its expansion of marksmanship safety and training around the country, the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has again created a lineup of hands-on rifle and pistol learning opportunities for the public throughout the calendar year.
Marksmanship 101, formerly known as the Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) On The Road, is designed to train beginners on rifle or pistol essentials and competition basics in a closely monitored setting, utilizing the talents of qualified CMP staff, trainers and members of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit. Participants learn through classroom discussion and active training on the range. Near the conclusion of training, students apply all they have learned in a true M16 rifle or M9 pistol match, fired under close supervision of trainers on the line.
No previous knowledge in marksmanship is required for the course, with all experience levels welcome to attend. Rifles and ammo are provided. Personal shooting jackets and gloves are permitted. Hearing protection and eye protection is also required.
Courses on the Marksmanship 101 2020 schedule include:
- March 14, 2020, Western CMP Games & CMP HP Rifle Matches – Ben Avery Shooting Facility, Phoenix, AZ
- April 24, 2020, Eastern CMP Games & CMP HP Rifle Matches – Camp Butner, Butner, NC
- May 16 & 17, 2020, Ridgway Rifle Club – Ridgway, PA
- May 29, 2020, Camp Atterbury – Edinburgh, IN
- July 25-26, 2020, National Matches, RIFLE SAFS – Camp Perry, Port Clinton, OH
- Sept. 24, 2020, New England CMP HP Rifle & CMP Games Matches – Camp Ethan Allen Training Site, Jericho, VT
- Sept. 25 & 26, 2020, Illinois State Rifle Association – Bonfield, Il
- Oct. 15, 2020, Oklahoma CMP HP Rifle & CMP Games Matches – Oklahoma City Gun Club, Oklahoma City, OK
- Nov. 17, Talladega 600 Matches – CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park, Talladega, AL
- July 7, 2020, National Matches, PISTOL SAFS – Camp Perry, Port Clinton, OH
- Sept. 18, 2020, New England CMP HP Rifle & CMP Games Matches – Camp Ethan Allen Training Site, Jericho, VT
Registration will open Feb. 19, 2020. Classes are limited, so please sign up in advance! No walk-ins will be permitted in PA, IN or IL.
For more information on the Marksmanship 101 Classes, including links to registration, visit the CMP website at http://thecmp.org/training-tech/marksmanship-101/. Once on the website, click on your desired date and location to be sent to the CMP Competition Tracker page to complete registration.
Questions on Marksmanship 101 may be directed to Amy Cantu at 419-635-2141 ext. 602 or email@example.com. We hope you’ll join us!
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearm safety and marksmanship training and to the promotion of marksmanship competition for citizens of the United States. For more information about the CMP and its programs, log onto www.TheCMP.org.