The sound of falling ripe persimmons seems to draw deer from miles around and all things considered, there may be no stronger natural attractant for white-tailed deer. The new Deer Candy collection from Chestnut Hill Outdoors features several American persimmon varieties that were specially selected for their abundant fruit production. As their name implies, the new Early Drop Persimmons bear fruit from late August through October, just about the time archery seasons kick in around the country.
Deer Candy Persimmons are all grafted female trees, which means they are vigorous and grow very rapidly, bearing 1-1/4′-.-½” diameter fruit in just 2-3 years, depending on the care they receive and climate to which they’re exposed. To address the latter, Chestnut Hill Outdoors selected grafted American Persimmon varieties that are cold-hardy so they can be grown over a much wider geographic area – planting Zones 5-9. The fruit drops over several months in late summer and early fall to expand your window of attractiveness and opportunity.
- Height at Maturity: 30′-50′
- Spread: 20′-35′
- Tree Form: Central Leader
- Foliage: Beautiful red-purple color in fall
- Bloom: May – June in most locations
- Fruit: Orange (when ripe) 1-1.5″ fruit with 4-6 large flat seeds ripens Aug-Oct
- Light requirements: Full sun
- Soil type: Adapted to upland, wet if only seasonal and well drained or sandy clay or loam; Ph 6.0-7.0
- Fertilization: New trees planted in the winter won’t need fertilizer (balanced time released 10-10-10 fertilizer or Espoma Tree Tone
- Organic) until April or May.
- Pruning: Most persimmon trees require little pruning, especially once they’re bearing fruits. Pruning is usually restricted to controlling the tree’s size or removing dead, diseased, and damaged branches. Prune any suckers that develop.
Start your early season Deer Candy persimmon patch today and widen the window of attractiveness for your property. For best pollination and production, plant Deer Magnet, or another Deer Candy variety along with your Early Drop grafted American female persimmons.
Size Shipped 12-24″ 1 yr old container grown – $29.95
Spring trees are shipped bare root without soil or a container.
1-9 10-24 100+
1-gallon $29.95 $27.95 $24.95
3-gallon $34.95 $32.95 $29.95
Price does not include Shipping and Handling.
Ground Shipping Rates:
up to $100.00 = $22.50
$100.00+ = 22.5%
Available at farm for pickup: 3-gallon. Please call for prices and availability.
Chestnut Hill Outdoors is more than just a nursery. In order to ensure you receive the maximum benefit from their products, they also provide sound advice and instruction on proper planting and care. For more on Chestnut Hill Outdoors products and how to care for them, visit ChestnutHillOutdoors.com, or call (855) 386-7826.
Chestnut Hill is the best place for you to purchase your food plot and deer attractant plants because they offer a large selection, their plants are specifically bred to attract deer, and they offer customers different sized plants at different levels of growth.
For more information, please visit