There are few natural foods more attractive to deer than ripe persimmons. To take full advantage of the power of the persimmon, Chestnut Hill Outdoors selected several American persimmon varieties especially for their abundant fruit production to create their ‘Deer Candy’ collection. Among them are several “Late Drop” Deer Magnet varieties that fall after most native and some cultured varieties, further widening the window of attractiveness your property offers to wildlife.
Deer Candy’ Persimmons are all grafted female trees, which means they are vigorous and grow very rapidly, bearing 1-1/4′-.-½” diameter fruit in just 2-3 years, depending on the care they receive and climate to which they’re exposed. Chestnut Hill Outdoors selected grafted American Persimmon varieties that are cold-hardy so they can be grown over a much wider geographic area – planting Zones 5-9. The fruit drops over several months to further expand your window of attractiveness and opportunity.
- Height at Maturity: 30′-50′
- Spread: 20′-35′
- Tree Form: Central Leader
- Foliage: Beautiful red-purple color in fall
- Bloom: May – June in most locations
- Fruit: Orange (when ripe) 1-1.5″ fruit with 4-6 large flat seeds ripens Aug-Oct
- Light requirements: Full sun
- Soil type: Adapted to upland, wet if only seasonal and well-drained or sandy clay or loam; Ph 6.0-7.0
- Fertilization: New trees planted in the winter won’t need fertilizer (balanced time-released 10-10-10 fertilizer or Espoma Tree Tone Organic) until April or May.
- Pruning: Most persimmon trees require little pruning, especially once they’re bearing fruits. Pruning is usually restricted to controlling the tree’s size or removing dead, diseased, and damaged branches. Prune any suckers that develop.
You can further widen the window of attractiveness, while also improving pollination and production, by planting Early Drop grafted American female persimmons along with your Late Drop Deer Magnet varieties.
Size Shipped 12-24″ 1 yr old container grown – $29.95
Spring trees are shipped bare root without soil or a container.
Chestnut Hill is the best place for you to purchase your food plot and deer attractant plants because they offer a large selection, their plants are specifically bred to attract deer, and they offer customers different sized plants at different levels of growth.
For more information, please visit